The Millinocket Marathon & Half
NEW FOR 2017!
We are VERY pleased to announce that the Millinocket Marathon & Half has joined forces with the Mount Desert Island Marathon, Half & Relay to create the first ever Maine Sea to Summit Race Series, featuring a special finishers medallion! Click HERE to learn more.
This FREE event was started in 2015 to help a struggling Maine mill town that has been devastated by the closing of their major employer. Runner's World Magazine picked up the story shortly after our first edition and the rest is.... as they say, history! Downeast Magazine featured a story entitled Marathon Man in their December 2016 edition that talks about the thought behind our event.
The only requirement for runners is that they support local businesses and contribute to the Katahdin region in some way. Participants are also strongly encouraged to make lodging plans now as many properties fill to capacity very quickly. (see lodging links below)
In the spirit of leaving more than our footprints in Millinocket and in the Katahdin region we have also set up fundraisers in support of two important local non-profit organizations including,
Our Katahdin - HERE
Millinocket Memorial Library - HERE
Please contribute generously.
Thank You VERY Much!
Get the FREE app at DiscoverKatahdin.com to know what, when and where things are happening! (click on the marathon & half tab)
(Note: 2016 events below...stay tuned for 2017 updates!)
As we all know this event was created solely to help the town & people of Millinocket, and the entire Katahdin region. It was never our intention for the town or region to have to do anything for us... Well, as we also know it's not how real Mainer's roll and the entire region is both excited and energized! With that said, there are many, many dinners, activities and other things planned. PLEASE please patronize all of these events:
RACE DATE: Saturday December 9th, 2017
START TIME: 10:00AM
START LOCATION: 33 Penobscot Ave, Millinocket ME, 04462
COURSE MAP: HERE
ENTRANTS LIST: HERE (click and scroll down to bottom of page)
LODGING, DINING & ACTIVITIES: HERE
NEW ENGLAND OUTDOOR CENTER LODGING: HERE
SHOP MILLINOCKET: HERE
MEDALS! The ONLY way you will get a medal when you finish is by pre-ordering them. (duh! the race is free!) The 2017 design (coming soon) is handmade by people who live in Millinocket. HERE
CONNECT via Facebook: HERE
- Our event is NOW USATF certified for our 2016 edition making it a Boston Marathon qualifier.
- The course is two loop circuit, half marathon is one loop, full marathon is two.
- The race will be timed and there will be offical results. (all donated services!)
- Participants should not attend our event with the typical race mindset, 'how many perks will I receive?' instead please come run and support this town (remember nobody paid an entry fee!)
- The event won't be supplying race shirts but the Moose Drop In, a local business, has createdmany wonderful designs! We highly recommend shopping now for official training for 2017 shirts and for other fun and locally crafted race bling!
- Individuals, businesses or organizations that have goods or services that they would like to share with runners as in-kind sponsors of this event are highly encouraged to attend.
- There is a pasta dinner, a craft fair/expo, bib pick up as well as an epic Saturday after party and a whole lot more in the works! This is definitely not a just run and leave event. Make plans now to come for the night or the weekend or forever works fine too!
Q and A:
Q. Will it be cold? A. It very well could be frigid, this is Northern Maine in the winter! (2015 was quite mild and 2016 was very cold)
Q. Where exactly is Millinocket? A. It's located about 1.5 hours north of Bangor ME.
Q, Will I see a Moose? A. Very likely!
Q. Is the course hilly? A. If you are from Maine nope, if you are from Kansas, we're thinking maybe so!
Q. Is it pretty there? A. It is absolutely stunningly beautiful and gorgeous!
If you have additional questions please contact us but mostly stop asking so many questions and just come have fun!!
#runMillinocket • december 9, 2017
this event is proudly supported by Crow Athletics