Robert Burns 10k
January 28, 2018
REGISTRATION IS OPEN!
"There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing." -Robert Burns
The idea of the Robert Burns 10k race was born out of conversation over good food, wine and beer, and positive vibes at our fellow comrade Chips rooftop patio. Having for so many years competed in events, we were excited and passionate to finally learn the ropes of putting on a well managed race ourselves. We agreed that the event should be unique, support a good cause, and have a special personal element connected to the theme of the race. Both of us celebrate our ancestry and connection to the cultural gifts of the Scottish Heritage, and thought of who better to embody the spirit of this race Than Robert Burns- The most cherished and celebrated Poet from Scotland. The proceeds of the race will go to the Westbrook High School Alternative Learning Bike Shop, a hands-on learning program for kids who are at risk of dropping out. We believe that people learn in many different ways, and all too often schools don't provide adequate options for hands on/ alternative learning. Many children's full potential to learn is not realized simply due to the fact that different learning styles are not embraced and cultivated in the education system, and that is something we are trying to change. In this program kids learn about science and physics through the mechanics of bicycle repair. -Ned Swain & Myles Courtney, race founders.
$25 until 11:59pm Dec 20
$30 until 11:59pm Jan 26
REGISTRATION: Click HERE to sign up!
ENTRANTS LIST: Click HERE
RACE DATE: Sunday January 28th, 2018
START TIME: 9:30AM
START LOCATION: Registration, bib pickup and the start is at the Westbrook Community Center, 426 Bridge St, Westbrook, ME, 04092
- Turn by Turn Directions:
- Race start in the parking lot of the Westbrook community center
- Right turn onto Bridge St for two blocks
- Left onto Cumberland and then down to Park
- Left turn onto Park Rd and then up to E. Bridge
- Bear right onto E. Bridge St
- Right on Puritan Drive and stay on Puritan down until it hits Independence Dr.
- Left onto Independence and then an immediate right on Quaker
- Quaker across Declaration over to Constitution Dr.
- Left onto Constitution back up to E Bridge
- Left on E Bridge
- Stay on E Bridge across Park and over to the intersection of Methodist and Bridge
- Left on Bridge and stay on down past the community center, through French town, all the way to Lincoln down towards the river.
- Right onto Lincoln and then up Lincoln past the golf course until the street makes a right hand turn onto Mayberry
- Right on Mayberry to the intersection with Pierce St
- Left on Pierce St up to Cumberland St
- Right onto Cumberland St and then left into to the entrance to the Congin school and playing fields.
- Finish line in parking lot.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I sign up on day of race?
There is LIMITED day of race registration. We are working on going paperless not to mention it is more work for organizers to manually enter day of race data into the race timing and results database, for that reason please register online in advance if you plan to participate.
When can I pick up my bib number?
Participants must pick up bib numbers at the Westbrook Community Center, 426 Bridge St, Westbrook, 5 on Sunday 8:00AM-9:00AM.
Can I park at the start?
YES. There is plenty of free parking at the start.
Is there gear check at the start or finish?
There is self gear check inside at the start. Race organizers are not responsible for lost items. Runners should arrive at the start line race ready. Please leave valuables in your car..
What is the age requirement to participate?
All ages are welcome; children must be supervised. All participants must be registered due to insurance requirements.
What do I need to know about the course?
We run a fast loop course. The streets will not be fully closed to traffic. Intersections will be manned and public safety officials will provide escorts.
How many water stations will there be?
There will be two water stations on the course
Where are the restrooms located?
Restrooms will be available at the start and at the finish line.
How will the race be timed?
We will be providing electronic timing services.
What are the awards categories?
The first male and female finisher in the following age categories will be recognized.
- $500 cash for 1st overall male and female!
- Awesome awards for 2nd and 3rd place overall male and female!
- Top 3 in the customary age categories!
- Special prizes for the top 3 male and female finishers wearing kilts!
May I transfer my entry to another person if I am unable to run?
We are not currently set up to do transfers.
Is the course certified?
Our course is not currently USATF certified, it is however accurately wheel measured. We hope to add a
certification measurement for future editions. Stay tuned!
1. Spencer McElwain - 31:52*
2. Chris Harmon - 31:54
3. Andy Spaulding - 33:27
1. Michelle Lilienthal - 36:36*
2. Jessica Binsbergan - 37:08
3. Leah Frost - 37:22
1. Moninda Marube - 32:17
2. Chris Harmon - 32:23
3. Spencer McElwain - 32:45